So What Is Asian Handicap In Betting? You may have seen this betting market on many online bookmakers’ websites and also in betting shops across the UK and Europe, but it actually originated in Asia!
Asian Handicap betting eliminates the draw in a match and thus makes it a 2 outcome bet instead of 3.
A minus symbol (-) is given to the bookmaker’s favourite team, which has a handicap disadvantage. A plus symbol (+) is assigned to the other team in the match that has less chance of winning, which now has a handicap advantage.
There are many different betting markets for Asian Handicaps (also known as betting lines) below is a table of the commonly used Asian Handicap lines (bets) for football matches as well as their outcomes and what their payouts are.
Asian Handicap Table
Now let’s explain what each of those handicap bets means by using real-world examples when betting on UK football matches.
Asian Handicap 0.0
Example: Chelsea is 6/4 to win and they are playing Bournemouth who is 3/1 to win.
You are betting £100 on Chelsea to win on the 0.0 Asian Handicap football betting market.
- If Chelsea wins, you win the bet
- If the match is a draw your stake is refunded
- If Chelsea loses, you lose your bet
0.25 Asian Handicap
The game starts with a score of 0 – 0.25 (1/4 goal handicap) meaning the outsider team gets a 0.25 goal headstart on the favourite before the kick-off.
Man United are 2/1 to win and Southampton are 6/4 to win on the 0.25 Asian handicap football betting market.
You are betting £100 on Man United to win.
- If Manchester United wins you win the bet
- If the match is a draw you get half of your stake refunded
- If Southampton wins the bet loses
0.5 Handicap Example
In this example, it’s similar to the 0.25 Asian Handicap except this time the outsider team gets a 0.5 (1/2 goal handicap) before kick-off.
Leeds are 2/1 to win and Burnley are 3/1 to win.
You are betting £100 on Leeds to win on the 0.5 Asian Handicap football betting market.
- If Leeds wins your bet wins
- If the game ends at a draw or Burnely wins the bet is a loser
0.75 Handicap Example
Here the game starts with the outsider team receiving a 0.75 (3/4 goal handicap)
Chelsea are 5/4 and Man City are 5/4
You are betting £100 on Chelsea to win on the +0.75 Asian handicap football betting market, for this bet to win you need Chelsea to win by 2 or more goals (2-0, 3-0, 3-1 for example).
- If Chelsea wins or ties the game, you win the bet.
- If Man City wins by one goal difference (0-1, 1-2, 2-3), you lose half of your stake (£50), and the other half (£50) returns to you.
- If Man City wins the game by two or more goals (0-2, 1-3, 0-3), you lose your stake.
You can have +0.75 and -0.75 Asian Handicaps the same rules apply but in reverse.
-1 Asian Handicap Example
With this example, the game starts with one side receiving a 1 goal head start before kick-off.
Sheffield United is 6/4 and Birmingham City is 6/4
You are betting £100 on Sheffield United to win -1 Asian handicap. To be a winner, you need Sheffield United to win by two or more goals (2-0, 3-0, 3-1).
- If Sheffield United wins by two or more goals, you win the bet.
- If Birmingham City wins by one goal (1:0, 2:1, 3:2), you get your stake back.
- If the match ends in a draw or Birmingham City wins, you lose the bet.
You are betting £100 on Birmingham City to win +1 Asian handicap.
- To be a winner, you need Birmingham City to win or a draw result.
- If the match result is a draw or Birmingham City wins, you win the bet.
- If Birmingham City loses by one goal (1:0, 2:1, 3:2), your stake is refunded.
With any Sheffield United win by two or more goals, you lose the bet.
The same goes for when the home team is the outsider. Usually, it is displayed like handicap 1:0 or handicap +1.
-1.5 Asian Handicap
One of the most popular Asian lines in football handicap betting is the -1.5 line. Here the game starts with one side getting a 1.5 goals head start before kick-off.
The underdog team has the advantage of a goal and a half before kick-off. There is no stake back in this market.
Chelsea are 6/4 and Man United are 2/1
You are betting £100 in Chelsea -1.5 Asian Handicap (AH). To win your bet, you need Chelsea to win with two or more goals difference. In any other case, you lose the bet.
- If Chelsea wins with two goals or more, you win the bet. Your profit will be £90.
- If Chelsea wins with a goal difference, or the match result is a draw, or Espanyol wins, you lose your stake.
Let’s suppose you bet £100 on Man United instead with the +1.5 Asian handicap.
- If Man United does not lose or lose with just a goal difference (1-0, 2-1), you win the bet.
- If Chelsea wins with two or more goals difference, you lose the bet.
Chelsea -1.5 Asian handicap is the same as Man United -1 EH (European handicap)
Other Asian Handicap Markets
Now that you know the 0, 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, and 1.5 Asian Handicaps you can apply this knowledge to the other markets that are available 1.75, 2, 2.25, 2.5, and so on.
Some bookmakers may show Asian handicap bets simply as AH, or just with the numbers 0.25AH, now you know what they mean.
You can also use this Asian Handicap calculator should you still be struggling to work them out.
When you understand how the Asian Handicap markets work you can use them to maximise your chances of winning on Football bets when backing the favourite.
It may look complicated at first but take some time to learn and understand how they work and you will soon have improved your football betting even more.
We hope that you have found this football betting guide useful, if you did please take the time to share it on Social Media and with your friends or even add a link on your website to it.