Welcome to our responsible gambling guide, Firstly as a seasoned gambler, I know that at times gambling can lose the fun and ends up being a more than costly habit, not a hobby.
I wanted to add a guide to the site that may be able to help at least one person who may have come across issues in their gambling and address it and possibly prevent a disaster from happening.
Firstly The Golden Rules of Gambling
This may be like sucking eggs for some but follow these golden rules and you will do perfectly fine.
I compiled this responsible gambling guide to help prevent problem gambling for any of my readers, and for any who already might have an issue to make a change and get the help they need and deserve.
- NEVER gamble what you cannot afford
- Set a limit or budget and stick to it
- Manage your expectations (expect to lose what you are betting and not win)
- Do not hang around with problem or reckless gamblers (friends and family or not)
- Only gamble when you are in a good mood not with impaired judgment and not under the influences of drugs or alcohol
- Take regular breaks from gambling
- DO NOT Chase your losses
- Don’t fall for popular myths such as “my luck will change” or “if I keep spinning the next bonus will win my money back” For example, learn to accept that gambling is not a career or something that can make you profit.
A responsible gambler:
- Gambles for entertainment purposes only
- Doesn’t rely on gambling as a source of income
- Takes regular breaks in between gaming sessions
- Sets a specific budget on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis – and sticks to it
- Sets a specific time limit for gambling on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis – and sticks to it
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose and treat any money lost as the cost of entertainment and do not chase their losses
- Can take breaks of up to a week or longer without a bet
How To Asses If You Have A Problem
Gambling should be fun and the first key indicator is if it has become something that makes you Angry, guilty, or depressed, it’s time to stop.
Should you not be able to face the prospect of a day without a gamble on slots or placing a bet on Football for example it’s time to seek help.
Urges to win losses back if you have lost money is a very dangerous sign that you should pay attention to, getting deeper into debt to try and erase debt is never a good option and the best solution is to stop completely.
Hiding your gambling from your partner is something that is not healthy and also shows guilt and confirms you probably have a gambling issue too.
Putting gambling time ahead of time with family and friends is also another key indicator, many people who have a true gambling issue will have all of these and more, if you think you have a problem please do not worry and be drastic there is always a solution.
This brings us to the tools that can help you overcome problem gambling, and more importantly, prevent it from happening at all in the first place.
Tools To Help You Succeed
Ok, so the following tools can help you prevent gambling issues, but not stop them altogether, further down in the next section we will tell you the steps you can take to take control of your money, your life, and your future!
- Deposit Limits – Most bookmakers and casinos in the UK are now required by law to offer players a tool that can stop them from depositing more than they want to lose, the first thing you should go and set is a deposit limit and whatever you think you can afford to halve it and set that as your deposit limit. These limits can be set per day per week or per month, we advise setting them as a monthly limit.
- Only playing at Gamstop registered websites – Make sure you are playing at a reputable gambling site that is not nefarious and potentially illegal, make sure the site has a Gamstop logo at the bottom and is also listed on the Gamstop website.
- Reality checks – Stay in control of the time you spend on-site by either setting a reminder or by taking a break from gambling.
- Timeouts – These enable you to close your account completely for a set period of time if you think it’s becoming too much, these timeouts range from a few weeks to a few years, choose what makes sense for you or close your account completely.
- Self Exclusion – The best way to stop you from gambling altogether- many sites will close your account for up to 5 years or forever if you email them asking to close and self-exclude you under responsible gambling.
Responsible Gambling Guide – Where To Get Help
If none of the above is working for you it’s time to take control of your gambling and unfortunately, this may mean you have to close all of your gambling accounts for a period of up to 5 years or more.
Speak with your partner, a friend, or family and confide in them, sometimes just admitting you have a problem and telling people can be enough to make you go onto the next stop of taking control of your life.
Gamstop – a fantastic and free service, Once registered you will be prevented from using gambling websites and apps run by companies licensed in Great Britain, for a period of your choosing.
This service can be ready to roll in just a few days and works incredibly well, it prevents you from being able to open accounts with bookmakers and casinos and prevents these companies from taking you on as a player. visit Gamstop here – https://www.gamstop.co.uk/ and speak to their advisors either on live chat or phone to get this sorted.
NHS – The NHS also has tools for people who may be suffering from mental health issues that have led to gambling or as a cause of the gambling addiction, visit https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/addiction-support/gambling-addiction/ for more info.
Gamcare – Get help from a real person, either via Whatsapp, Live Chat, Phone, or Facebook Messenger, they can also help you with blocking software, money budgeting, self-help groups, and help with self-exclusion methods.
Your Bank – Surpsinigly your very own bank can stop all gambling transactions on your account if you request them too, and if they can why not move to a bank that can, I personally know that First Direct can do this for you if you ask and it forms an extra layer of protection on top of Gamstop.
Focus On The Future
Now that you have set your limits and or taken control back, picture what you want to do with all the extra money you will have in the future as you won’t be losing it all no horse, football, and slots!
Spend more time with your family, by your wife something nice because you love her not because you won £200 on a bet as a one-off.
Take that holiday you always wanted to go on, focus on yourself and self-improvement, and maybe one day you will be able to give it another go, but for now I hope everything goes your way you get things sorted and get your life back, please drop me an email if you need any further help I would be happy to point you in the right direction.
Thanks for reading our responsible gambling guide, if it helped you in any way please let me know.