Welcome to our Italy Vs England Euro Qualifier Match Preview we have some free predictions for this match and plan to have more predictions for the Euro qualifiers going forward too.
England takes on the opponents that prevented them from winning the Euros last time but this time in a qualifier for the next competition.
England will want to get some revenge here and they take on a defensive-minded Italy side that can be explosive on the counter, that being said England’s back line is one of the best in the world, despite their floors.
Many football tipsters are saying England will win this one but we feel it will be a lot closer than people think.
Kickoff time: Thursday 23rd March 2023 at 19:45
Venue: Stadio Diego Armando Maradona (Naples)
Referee: Jovanovic S. (Serbia)
Latest Team News
Immobile is currently injured and therefore out of the Italy squad for this meeting, he is currently the only player missing.
Sterling is not called up for the England squad, while Ivan Toney is and is also in good form. Alexander-Arnold is out of the squad too, the same goes for Ben white.
England and Italy have faced each other in several European Qualifier football matches throughout history. Here are some notable moments:
- Euro 1968: In the quarterfinals of the European Championship, Italy defeated England on aggregate after two legs. The first leg ended in a 1-1 draw, while Italy won the second leg 1-0.
- World Cup 1998: Italy and England were drawn together in the group stage of the World Cup in France. The match ended in a 0-0 draw, with both teams unable to find the back of the net.
- Euro 2004: Italy and England met again in the quarterfinals of the European Championship. The match ended in a 0-0 draw after extra time, and Italy won 4-2 on penalties.
- World Cup 2010: In the group stage of the World Cup in South Africa, England, and Italy faced each other again. The match ended in a 1-1 draw, with both teams scoring a goal in the first half.
- Euro 2012: Italy and England were drawn together in the quarterfinals of the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine. The match ended in a 0-0 draw after extra time, and Italy won 4-2 on penalties again.
- Euro 2020: In the final of the European Championship, Italy defeated England in a penalty shootout after the match ended in a 1-1 draw after extra time. This was Italy’s second European Championship win, while England remains without a major international trophy since their World Cup win in 1966.
Not the most reliable home side Italy has lost most recently at home to North Macedonia which could be seen somewhat as an embarrassment considering the gulf in class.
That being said they rarely concede more than one goal apart from a 3-0 drubbing to Argentina here recently too, you would have to go way back to pre-2018 to find another home game where they conceded more than 1 goal at this venue.
England have only conceded around 8 goals in their last 14 away matches meaning both sides don’t concede many goals.
England possibly is not as good on the road as they are back at home but they won’t be leaking many at the back and considering Italy’s back line doesn’t leak many goals either it is unlikely the game will be a goal fest.
Our Free Italy Vs England Euro Qualifier Match Preview Predictions
This looks set to be another game that fails to be a high-scoring encounter based on history and current form it’s probably best to go with under 2.5 goals in the match.
Ivan Toney if starting could be a fantastic anytime goalscorer bet as he has been finding the net for Brentford a lot recently and has earned his call-up.
On a side note, it could also be worth going for both teams to score and a draw, with a 1-1 scoreline looking very realistic outcome here.
For more football tips for today make sure you check out the free tips section of our website, we also have tons of football tipster reviews if you are looking to improve your betting performance with a professional.